It’s the most wonderful time of the year, but if you’re hosting Christmas lunch/dinner, it can turn into stress-central, very quickly. The most important thing is to have fun and enjoy the time you have with your loved ones, not slave away in the kitchen all day. There’s a reason they call it a holiday.
Your best bet is to keep it simple, plan ahead and be prepared. And anything you can prepare in advance is going to give you more time to enjoy the day.
Here are our suggestions for a deliciously easy Christmas menu.
The easiest roast potatoes
*200oC for ±30min or until done
Ingredients for the fritters
1 cup pumpkin cooked and pureed
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp caster sugar
¼ cup milk
Pinch of salt
Oil for deep frying
For the caramel sauce
¾ cup sugar
1 cup cream
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp butter
½ cup golden syrup
1 tsp sea salt flakes
For some lighter options
The star of the show:
Marmalade glazed gammon
Or if you’re vegetarian…
The star of the show:
Silwood School of Cookery’s Frozen Christmas Pudding
90 g raisins
60 g sultanas
60 g currants
30 g mixed citrus peel
65 g mixed glacé fruits, chopped
10 fresh or glacé cherries, halved and pips removed
65 ml brandy
1 litre vanilla ice cream
200g almond praline or peanut brittle
50 g chocolate finely chopped
Holly or mint leaves
- Pudding: Line a 1½ litre pudding bowl with cling film and place in the freezer.
- Mix the raisins, sultanas, currants mixed citrus peel and glacé fruits together. Add the brandy and allow to stand for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Remove the ice-cream from the freezer, add the cream and beat to just soften.
- Quickly fold all the ingredients into the ice cream, then pack the mixture into the frozen mold. Cover and return to the freezer for 4-6 hours.
- To serve: Turn onto a serving dish. Decorate with fresh cherries and holly as desired.
Some Christmas cheer from us to you
Edgars Club members stand a chance to win one of two R400 vouchers from Piatto.Piatto – win one of two R400 vouchers – December
If cooking during the holidays isn’t your thing…make a reservation
Edgars Club members get 10% off at Piatto from Mondays to Thursdays.
Simply show your Edgars Club card to the waiter when asking for your bill.
Ts & Cs Apply.