Like Photoshop for your complexion, primer is one beauty step you don’t want to skip. We decode your favourite formulas and clarify their transformation powers
When applied under your foundation, primers create a barrier between your skin and make-up to help minimise pores, smooth your skin’s surface and extend the wear of your coverage.
Different primers offer unique functions. Some brighten, while others mattify. Others still may colour-correct or even blur imperfections. So, whatever effect you need to achieve, there is a primer out there for you.
Skin Perfecting Primers
From concealing wrinkles to reducing pores, these powerful primers are all about creating a perfect canvas for your make-up application. And – bonus! – they’ll prolong your foundation’s wear too.
2. Lancôme LA Base Pro Fluid R560
3. Elizabeth Arden Flawless Start Instant Perfecting Primer R365
4. MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect Lotion SPF 50 R520
5. Clinique Superprimer R395
6. Sensai Smoothing Water Make-Up Base R575
It’s time to get your winter glow on with a brightening primer. These winning solutions generally contain a healthy dose of nutrients that work to impart a lit-from-within glow to skin. Many of them also contain light-reflecting particles that make skin look more radiant and brilliantly bright.
2. Elemis Pro-Radiance Illuminating Flash Balm R815
3. Chanel Le Blanc De Chanel R775
4. Benefit ‘That Gal’ R415
When you have oily skin, there is a fine line between greasy and glowing. For reducing shine, invest in a good mattifying primer. As the name suggests, these primers help control oil and minimise pores, creating a flawless base for make-up to glide on with ease.
2. Estée Lauder Matte Perfecting Primer R425
3. Benefit the POREfessional R445
4. Givenchy Mister Mat Mattifying Primer R645
Colour Correcting Primers
These multi-tasking marvels not only create a perfect complexion but also conceal specific concerns too. For blotchy redness on skin, a green primer will neutralise the effect, while a purple corrector adds radiance to brighten skin with unwanted yellow undertones.
2. Dior Fix It Colour 2-in-1 Prime & Colour Correct in Blue R580
3. Revlon PhotoReady Color Correcting Primer R275
4. Smashbox Photo Finish Color Correcting Foundation Primer R440
Primers have become so popular that beauty houses have developed ones for specific parts of the face:
To extend eye shadow staying power, or to intensify their colour, lid primers are a must!
2. Benefit Air Patrol Eyelid Primer R385
A lip primer is the best way to not only stop your lipstick bleeding, but gets the most out of your long-lasting lipstick too.
2. Mac Prep + Prime Lip R320
This is article first appeared in the July 2017 issue of Club Magazine.
Prices correct at time of publishing